Sunday, 10 April 2011

New Year's resolution #1

I am becoming a strong believer in new year’s resolutions. The trick is to resolve to do something actually do-able that you want to do, rather than some up in the air thing, and attach a target to it. For instance, I’m tired of only climbing in the gym so I made new year’s resolution to climb outdoors at least four weekend this year, at least one of which had to be in Rocklands (a world renowned bouldering area just north of Cape Town). So I have booked my climbing friends for four weekends spread throughout the year, and last weekend was our first climbing weekend away.

We headed for a place in the Cedarberg called Nuwerust, whose website showed there was lots of green grass for camping and there was a nice crag with a variety of grades for us to climb, depending on how adventurous we felt.

It turned out the drive there was a bit longer, and a bit hairier (the last bits) than expected. But we all got there safe and sound.

Headed up to the crag the next day and climbed some fun routes, then had a great big fire at the camp for the evening, and even some magic tricks from our new friend Devon.

The next day Gareth was keen to try the multi pitch and Barbara and I rose to the challenge. I don’t think Gareth realised we were a bit useless at anything other than the basic climbing rocks, which meant that Gareth had to lead the four pitches. So off we went, Gareth leading the way. One pitch up, things are looking great, Two pitches up, it’s a different story, way more exposure and the nervous giggles have kicked in. The climbing itself was pretty interesting and I enjoyed that (despite the nerves). But sitting on the edge of a little ledge, watching Gareth try put together the final moves, and thinking I was going to have to climb that after him, with him swearing like a trooper, I was pretty happy when he said that he was going come down. Abseil down, heart rate can slow down to normal again, thank goodness!

Decided I need to get out doors more and do some more multipitches (maybe starting off with slightly shorter ones)….maybe a mid year resolution is coming on.

Some photo’s from the weekend: Kerry's pics and mine

No comments: