Monday, 28 January 2008

Cape Point and other news













Cape Point Hike (two day overnight hike)

A whole weekend of getting up early…would it really be worth it? Saturday dawned bright and early, too early for me who had been making tuna mayo, veg kebabs, boiling potatoes end eggs etc etc for food for 18 people. Yes, I had somehow volunteered myself to cater for everyone for the weekend. But we paid them to take our bags to the overnight stop, I’m not stupid anough to carry all that stuff! Apart from spilling hot coffee on myself in the car (Garth and I had stopped at Olympia in Kalk Bay on the way) we got off to a good start with the group doing pretty well at sticking together. I of course was out front (I really don’t know what I have about getting to places quickly when you walk but no matter where I am walking that seems to be the case). Spent a lovely lunch along the coast next to a tidal pool. Got raided by the baboons, who ran right amongst our group of 18, brushing past legs, to steal a bag of rolls JL had left out. Cheeky buggers. A quick walk up the hill and we were at the hut. A nice glass of wine and a beautiful sunset ensured that the early morning start had been well worth it.

The next day dawned far too early (my sleeping bag is always too warm so I didn’t sleep too well, add to that JL’s snoring!), but got up to make 36 sandwiches and start brekkie. Luckily I had two marvelous helpers Megan and her husband (who’s name is eluding me as I type this on a Sunday evening). Some spanspek, scrambled eggs and bacon in our tummies we set off for a good walk along the coast. The highlight of the day was the Sirkelsvlei, which is an underground fed vlei, average depth 1.4 m, just after lunch (actually the real highlight was my tuna mayo sandwich which I REALLY appreciated after the long hike, and the super c’s and the peanuts and raisins and the banana and the fruit juice, which all went down very very quickly. What can I say? Walking is hungry work!). The vlei is really dark-you literally can’t see your hand less than a foot below the surface. Opened my eyes underwater and it was pitch black, felt like my eyes were closed! When you got close to the surface and looked at the sun it was a blood red ball! Weird being so dark.

After that it was the last slog up two hills. Jimmy set a good pace and we cruised up. I must say, being a bit fitter than last time made things a lot easier.

All I can say is it was well worth the early morning starts! Highly recommended everyone!

Photo’s:
All the food for the hike (18 people (actually I’d packed a bit of it before I took the pic but it was a lot!)
The Cape Point Entrance, or exit as the case may be- this was when we finally arrived back at the cars)
Me at Fat Cactus (I’ve decided the foods not that good there-far too much cheese!)
Don and Meegs at Fat Cactus (Don was down from Durban hence we were all out to dinner)
Rich
Jimmy and I (I thin kthat’s Rich’s friend Paulo trying to pick Jimmy’s nose!)
Sundowners at Clifton 2 on Friday evening-what a perfect evening it was. I finally finished the report I was working on (at 6:15 grr!) and headed to the beach, along with the rest of Cape Town. Saw some people from the climbing gym slack lining (the opposite of tight roping). They had tied a rope/webbing between two boulders and were trying to walk across (trust me, it’s not easy). One guys was pretty good and was bobbing and weaving along, making it look simple. I gave it a bit of a go, but if you’re not holding someones hand to steady yourself its impossible to even get a step! Still it was fun. And a gorgeous sunset. Kept looking at it thinking that this is why we live in Cape Town!

The next day was a scorcher, had been considering the Met as I’ve never been, but the thought of getting drunk in the heat just didn’t appeal that much. So went shopping quickly (airconned shopping centres!) (the photo is from the car park). Came across a sandwich shop called lulu, so had to tae a pic, and then tried something on at a shop where they give you a licence plate number with the number of your items on, I mean really! Then off to Sara’s for a swim in her pool (heavenly) and a chat.

My dad and stepmom were down and staying at a friends in Somerset West who had a gorgeous pool with a gorgeous view, ah, perfect way to spend 35C days!

No comments: