The other thing I have been meaning to blog about was our trip to Namibia. Once again Boet and I headed off in his bakkie up the West coast. Dita and Cal had set up camp at Port Nolloth to save us missing the border gate open time. We got to give west coast lobstering a go- freezing, freezing freezing cold water that I managed to stay in for a grand total of about 15 mins! Luckily one of Cal’s friends was along and he kindly donated us some kreef. After that we headed up to Orangemund to Edita and Cal’s place. They’re right oon the edge of town so the view beyond the fence goes out into the scrubby dessert and into some dunes. We did quite a few day tripper activities- the highlights being fourwheeling on the dune behind the house (and trying to slide down the dune on some cardboard- surprisingly slow for some reason!). My absolute favourite thing though was swimming across the Orange River with boet (yup, I swum Namibia to South Africa!) and then managing to walk across (admittedly the water up to my chin) in the opposite direction, Found some fantastic squishy mud to play with and had a go throughing a mud ball on a stick (mud-lat?) but wasn’t to successful. Was interesting seeing all the spoor made semi-permanent in the mud. I was itching to start a mud fight with Boet but knew I’d lose, so resisted temptation! Ah, it was glorious!
Tuesday, 13 May 2008
namibia road trip
The other thing I have been meaning to blog about was our trip to Namibia. Once again Boet and I headed off in his bakkie up the West coast. Dita and Cal had set up camp at Port Nolloth to save us missing the border gate open time. We got to give west coast lobstering a go- freezing, freezing freezing cold water that I managed to stay in for a grand total of about 15 mins! Luckily one of Cal’s friends was along and he kindly donated us some kreef. After that we headed up to Orangemund to Edita and Cal’s place. They’re right oon the edge of town so the view beyond the fence goes out into the scrubby dessert and into some dunes. We did quite a few day tripper activities- the highlights being fourwheeling on the dune behind the house (and trying to slide down the dune on some cardboard- surprisingly slow for some reason!). My absolute favourite thing though was swimming across the Orange River with boet (yup, I swum Namibia to South Africa!) and then managing to walk across (admittedly the water up to my chin) in the opposite direction, Found some fantastic squishy mud to play with and had a go throughing a mud ball on a stick (mud-lat?) but wasn’t to successful. Was interesting seeing all the spoor made semi-permanent in the mud. I was itching to start a mud fight with Boet but knew I’d lose, so resisted temptation! Ah, it was glorious!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment