
Ah yes, I mustn’t forget the great hike we did the other weekend. Some 20 emails back and forth to try get the date set, with Laura eventually putting her foot down and saying stuff the other people, we’re going tomorrow (including Neil who ditched us at the last minute to go fly fishing- didn’t hear that he caught anything so I’m going to presume that he came home empty handed yet again!)!
I thought it sounded quite nice and easy, until Warren, who’d done the route we were hiking from Constantia Nek down to the start of Chapmans Peak Drive before, mentioned that the first uphill was rather steep and that “a few of you may be discouraged”. That was an understatement of note- the First kilometer was up up and up, and short flat bit (maybe 15 m with bushes obscuring the end so you thought the path carried on flat) soon ended in uphill. But what I learnt on the otter trail was that all downhills are followed by uphills, so better to start with the uphill and end on the easy bit! All in all it ended up being a really nice hike with a fantastic view of Hout Bay from our lunch spot that we selected (we are huddled in a little patch of shelter out of the wind in an area about 2 m2).
On the way down I was glad we hadn’t done the hike in the opposite direction- if I thought it was a steep uphill from the other side you should have seen the climb! A couple of crazy Sunday strollers walking their dogs up it!
No comments:
Post a Comment