









I decided to take the plunge this year and spend the whole week at the Knysna Oyster Festival, no work for 10 straight days, woohoo!
Jimmy and I set off from Cape Town, only to hit bad traffic (and bad weather) in Somerset West, but who cares, we were on our way! We arrived in time to register for the cycle race (that's all the others, not me!) and headed for the fireplace at home.
Saturday dawned bright and early. Normally I'm not up that early but Sa and Gav had requested that I be their apparel collector (take their long tops just before they set off). Not the most glamorous job but I guess it was better than just being the lift! Off they set (along with jimmy a little later) while I went off to do some grocery shopping- the joys of being domesticated eh?! But someone needed to plan sunday roast and lemon meringue pie! Sasa did fabulously- I arrived in time to hear them announcing her as the first female rider over the finish lline, well done chick!
By Monday Jimmy was man-down. There's some sort of bug going around knysna so a lot of people are kneeling in front of the big white throne. Luckily for me some other mates were around to play with so Jess and I headed off for some comedy at Zanzibar. Ah, comedy, always worthwhile, by the end of it we were crying with laughter, what a great show. And some Englishman, the MC, spent most of the night rubbing his bits in front of the audience! Now where else could you get away with that! When we arrived at the club we'd been asked for our names and numbers for the lucky draw, so I found myself the lucky recipient of first prize! A whole sheep! Seems a butcher was sponsoring the show! So I ask you, what do you do with a whole sheep? Now yes, the obvious thing to do would be to have a spit braai, but when you think about it you realise that having maybe 10 friends around with a whole spit braaied sheep may be a bit of a waste of a whole lot of sheep! But hey I could think of ways of getting through the mass of meat (notably throwing a moerse party in Cape Town, and seeing my birthday is coming up this would be the perfect time) but how the hell do you get a whole sheep to Cape Town and keep it frozen until needed?! Not the easiest thing to do if you don't have a deepfreeze (I don't) or a lot of space in the fridge-freezer (I don't). Anyway, the butcher is yet to call me to claim my prize so I am going to start doing some follow up now!
Tuesday night we managed to score free tickets to the wine tasting (some friends of friends had come down with the bug) so off we went. Unfortunately we didn't win any of the lucky draws (a case of wine would've gone down well with the whole sheep) but the amarula cocktails they had downstairs (still not sure how that fits in with the wine tasting) were fabulous!
Wednesday we headed off to Plett and had a pleasant stroll to Arch Rock. The beach Olympics were taking place with our arrival signifying the start of the log-tossing competition. Louise and Thamar were out after the first heat, it's not a sport for the ladies this, with Nick, Jimmy and Dave making it through to the final. Dave made first place but Jimmy and Nick may disagree!
That evening we headed to Zanzibar for more fun and all of us managed to collect some shiny plastic medally type chains, why do they always give out so much crap for promo's (and why is it so cool at the time!)?
So here we are on Thursday. The others have gone riding, and I am going to go collect my lamb [called Zanzibar, apparently I just have to get my ticket signed by management] and do a stew for tonight, I better get started so it can be nice and succulent! Yum yum!
No comments:
Post a Comment