Sunday, 31 May 2009

Up the Creek Music Festival




http://www.upthecreek.co.za/

Now this I really need to get photos for, but I think the only ones around are on Facebook. What a great fantastic awesome party!!! A whole weekend of music and dancing and swimming in the Breede River!

They had just caught and released the biggest Zambezi shark ever recorded in the world in the river a week before but I figured that as long as there were other people swimming further out than me I would be ok. Besides, I’m a strong swimmer, I reckon I could beat most of the people out of the water!

Listen to this “International and local records tumbled as a team of shark conservationists hooked the largest Zambezi shark known to science - a massive pregnant female four metres in length and weighing almost half a ton. But wait for it. This awesome creature was found 5.5 kms up the Breede River, a large river that comes out near the southernmost tip of Africa, Cape Agulhas. It is the furthest south a bull shark has been found in Africa.”
http://www.wavescape.co.za/sharks/bizarre-bull-shark-record.html

My boet had given me a lilo for Christmas so that came in very useful too. Apparently last year there were three or four lilo’s. This year there must have been a couple of hundred, clearly everyone else thought it was a fab idea!!

We arrived on Friday evening (always fun driving in my car, without aircon, in 36C heat!!) in time to quickly put up tents (garth had given me his to put up as he was arriving later, I figured it was worth all the things I could get him to do in return for the favour!!) and then we headed straight to the stage for the first gig. And wow, what a great night, a couple of bands I had never heard of but who were never the less party-worthy, but Friday nights best must have been Prime Cirlce, a relatively new South African rock band who have recently gotten lots of air time with “She always gets what she wants”. Some of us (i.e. not me) stayed up partying past 2 AM but as I am ever sensible I went to bed, knowing that the sun would hit our tents before 7 in the morning.

Saturday morning dawned, a little overcast and mild, much to the relief of those who had carried on partying. We had somehow got some legend chick in our kraal of tents, who had masses of eggs and bacon etc, so everyone chipped in, someone had some industrial sized gas pan thing and away we were! Legend Chick was doing the cooking and mentioned how it was typical that the person from Joburg (i.e. her) was organized and how Capetonians were useless, just look at us sorry lot. There was a bit of grumpy silence before someone piped up that we had it the right way, after all, who was doing all the hard work while we were just sitting on our asses! By the time we’d finished breakfast the weather had cleared and we all heeded down to the river. A bit of a surreal moment before I saw the river as there was this buzz of voices and lots of splashing, it was a bit like walking into the municipal pool area!

By noon the bands were due to start again. I was ready for some snoozel time but as I was only here for the weekend I revived my inner party animal and hit the dance floor. Well, really all I did was climb into Stevie’s blow up pool on the dance floor, fill up my glass with some wine and have a good session bopping in the pool! Sure beat a hot nap!!

I can’t remember what dinner was that night, I have a feeling it was a boerie roll or hamburger (the farmer whose farm we were on was in charge of food and did some quality meat products, not anything like those kak boerie rolls you get outside the rugby stadium), followed by some more partying. The rain started that night, as well as the sprinklerson one section of the dance floor, which set the stage for the next days mud fights (no, I did not get involved). Anyway, much partying later and it was time fun bed. I crawled into my tent only to discover that the little window had been left open and it had rained in. No matter, I moved my mattress up and promptly went to sleep. But not for long as my feet were cold and wet, now why was that?? Turned out my mattress had got a little bit wet too, but that didn’t prevent me catching some zz’s anyhow.

Sunday dawned, uh, I can’t remember whether it was bright or not, I do remember that brekkie was a lot later than the day before though! Soon after brekkie we headed down to the river for some quality chilling. The crowd was a little quieter than the day before and the sunnies were decidedly on. After a good length of recharge time I found the energy to make my way to the stage for yet some more tjoons. Unfortunately my mind was pre-occupied with the fact that I was going to have to pack up and head home soon, in the hot hot heat in my car with no no aircon. Soon enough the music drew to a close and most of the fans had headed back to their boring lives once more, and I soon joined them…but I think we all headed home, well satisfied, well partied, and well spent!

1 comment:

steve said...

prime circle new? what...or should i say HELLO? 2003 was their breakthrough with hello crazy world.

oh and i just love that picture of me in the pool with a beer and a massage...life, shes good